Friday, October 24, 2008

The End of the Road vs The End of the Day

I just had a great talk with my Dad. Last night, I couldn't sleep. I was up until almost 4. My brain wouldn't stop. All day today, I was off. I didn't get up early to swim. I was tired. I was grumpy, utterly unsettled. So, on the way home, I called my dad. Told him we signed up for the Florida 70.3. He has no doubt I'll finish. I asked him why I can't shut my brain off. We proceed to have a long discussion about the big things, and the little things, and that I do lots of big things, and have trouble with "everyday" issues. The bottom line is that in order for me to truly be happy, and I'm going to use ironman training to hone this skill, I have to live "just for today." Even the Ironman is about the journey. The beauty of accomplishment is not in the finish, but in every step it took to get there.

Then, this is the quote of the moment on igoogle:
The greatest mistake you can make is to be continually fearing you will make one. -Elbert Hubbard

No comments: