Saturday, November 28, 2009

Befriend the Night

There are so many things I will do differently for my second Ironman. Tonight, I added another. I didn't feel well, and bid a fond farewell to my family after the holiday, so I took a nap. I woke up with not enough time to get the whole 7 miles in (not the fastest turtle in the bunch!) before dark, so I had another good excuse to postpone the run until tomorrow. But, I read the posts of my friends on Facebook, and had some extra motivation, so I grabbed my RoadID Firefly light, and went off to do my run. I ran the last half hour in real darkness. In the past, that would have been frightening, but after Ironman Florida, it is a necessity. My entire marathon will likely be run in the dark. It was in Florida, that's for sure. However, I'd done very little dark running, and it took a lot of mental energy to be cognizant of the road while trying not to keel over.

So today, I overcame my desire to be lazy, overcame my excuse that I have a sore throat and runny nose (no, I'm not sick enough not to run, but again, would have been an acceptable excuse in the "real world"), overcame my desire to grab a novel and sit on the couch, and I ran. In the dark. And it was good.

2 comments:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Already put that on my list for St George and IMFL next year... a hat light for the second half of the marathon.. IMAZ 08 had good light....not so much in Fl, eh?

Moe said...

Well I'm likely a bit slower than you are ;). I started in twilight. Bike cutoff is 5:15 because of low light. Maybe a bit lighter for a couple reasons in AZ?!?